Monday, December 6, 2010

Like everyone else's family in the free world, mine is slowly if not reluctantly getting ready for Christmas.  Slowly because we're busy (like everyone else) and reluctantly because it just doesn't "feel" like Christmas yet... We did get a crap load of snow a couple of weeks ago but it has completely dissapeared and it's been raining so it feels more like Easter!   I've been good about gifts so far this year though; I started thinking about them early so I don't have to buy shitty, last-minute gifts that nobody cares about!  I'm probably half done shopping and to be fully done by this coming Tuesday (ya,right).     As for the "heart-felt" and "homemade" type of gifts people usually expect from me; keep looking,'cause there won't be many of those this year.....Actually, the most homemade gift I'll be giving this year is one I have planned for my Secret Santa recipient, and I hardly even know that person! Huh, wierd.  Yanywhooooo.  Onto softer and squishier things!  SHOW ME THE KNITTING!   Here are a few projects I'm working on.... This one is what I hope will be the first of a series.  I'm calling this one: "Mouse Mania".  I have sooooooo much scrap wool and I needed to find something interesting to do with some of it and I really don't want to make an afghan!  yuck! I found a sweet and super easy pattern for mice cat toys and I thought it would be fun to knit the mice according to the amount of wool I have; as in the more scrap wool of one type I have, the BIGGER the mouse I can knit!  Ideally, a cat toy should be smaller than the cat playing with it but who doesn't like the idea of a cat toy that is TWICE the size of the cat?!  HILLARIOUS.  That'll show those silly, smart cats who's boss, no? So anyway, this first one in the series is a combination of two yarns: first one is Paton's Classic Wool Merino in "Harvest" on 4.5 mm needles for the body sides and the second is Alafoss Lopi (Icelandic bulky) on 5.5 mm needles for the body base, ears and tail.  The Merino felts well, so I adjusted the original pattern to accomodate the amount of yarn I had.  The original pattern (its' origin is completely forgotten to me) knits a very small mouse cat toy but if you multiply the cast-on stitch number and maintain this same factor throughout, the shape should resemble the "original" mouse, 'cept bigger!  Once stuffed, the bigger mice will make interesting cushions.  I'm thinking that this series project will be a good exercise in trying different techniques and in using yarns I wouldn't use for other wearable projects.   I can't wait to put it together this week and see what my first mouse looks like! Although most projects I'm working on are not finished, I did manage to complete one of them out of necessity.  Paul and I bought an ipad a few months ago and didn't have a carrying case for it so I knit one, much like my laptop bag.   I used the Paton's Classic Merino in "Harvest" (this is where my mouse wool came from).  I didn't have a pattern, but used the same shrinkage percentage results achieved from laptop bag adjusted for the ipad's measurements and it turned out perfect!   I still haven't decided what type of closures I want or need on this bag, but I did add some strictly esthetic, decorative clay buttons in the meantime. Other than knitting and working, I've been cooking and teaching Paul some cooking.  He's doing really well with it and even starting to make his own decisions about flavours and techniques.  I did catch him throwing a whole bunch of mushrooms and potatoes into a stone cold pan the other day though....  wtf?  Who does that? Look at him go!! I have more projects to blog about but this entry is already long enough so I'll keep some for next time... It's 1:30 on Sunday morning and I'm at work until just after 6 and looking forward to a couple of days off during which I'll be shopping, knitting, cooking and possibly even baking, so stay tuned.... Happy pre-holidays everyone!!!  Stay safe, warm and stress-free in the coming weeks!  xo      

No comments: